Whether the sky’s the limit or you’re on a limited budget, you can create a direct mail campaign to fit your needs.
In the age of email and digital advertising, it may come as a surprise that many businesses still spend millions of dollars annually on direct mail. Why? Because it still works! Direct mail still boats a proven 1-2% average response rate.
A study by the Boston Consulting Group says that by 2020, total advertising spending on ad mail will increase from 11% to 12%. That means that advertisers will be using direct mail marketing even more in the future. Will you?
Direct mail helps you achieve presence in a digital world. By using postal mail, businesses can drive consumer traffic wherever they choose – a retail location, website, etc… Postal mail, when used effectively, is the method businesses use to remain present in their customers’ and potential customers’ lives.
Here are a few reasons why NOW is the time to spend your marketing dollars on direct mail:
- A USPS study revealed 98% of consumers retrieve mail from the mailbox the day it’s delivered, and 77% sort through it immediately. It’s a time-tested tactic that gets the job done. Digital channels are becoming increasingly crowded. Direct mail is much less-crowded and can stand out and grab attention.
- 60% of all ad mail recipients visit a website if the ad lists one. When targeted properly, direct mail has a consistently higher ROI when compared to other, often cheaper digital channels.
- A study by the American Cancer Society found that for every $1 they invest in direct mail acquisition, they bring in more than $7 over the course of three years.
- Neiman Marcus has found that they make $4 for every $1 spent on creating and mailing a catalog.
- A USPS study found that customers who received an ad via direct mail spent 28% more than those who didn’t.
- Businesses who advertise using mail received about a 16% median ROI.
- 70% of Americans say that physical mail is “more personal” than email. If your business is interested in personal connection, then physical mail should be your first choice.
Interested in using direct mail in conjunction with other marketing methods?
Customers who interact over multiple channels are more loyal, purchase more and are more profitable than those contacted over a single channel. Effective direct marketers understand, support and leverage an integrated approach to customer acquisition. For most marketers, a campaign’s effectiveness is contingent upon combining traditional direct marketing tactics with digital technology. That is particularly true for new customer acquisition.
Whether you decide to utilize direct mail as a standalone marketing channel or in conjunction with other marketing methods, ANS will guide you to the best possible mailing lists and resources. We’ve been providing marketing solutions to our clients since 1995, and we’ll do the same for you!
Read more posts from Wendy Harwood.